COVID-19 INFORMATION FROM MITIGARE
1. HOSPICE CARE. Mitigare continues to provide hospice care and accept new patients during these difficult times. We are protecting our patients and medical staff by making our visits via video call when possible.
2. PATIENT FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. Due to the pandemic, many patients are unable to pay for their hospice care. Mitigare is committed to providing full hospice care to anyone regardless of capacity to pay. We have a Patient Assistance Fund to help others get the care they need. Please consider donating to that fund here: DONATE
3. EMOTIONAL SUPPORT. We are here to provide emotional support to you and your family. If you are feeling anxiety or stress and would like to talk with a professional, please contact Martha Hamill at or by WhatsApp or telephone at (52) 415 151 0121.
4. TRUSTED COVID-19 INFORMATION. Be careful where you get your information. For factual and current information for San Miguel go to the COVID-19 SMA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/covid19sma/ This is being managed by Jessica Frick-Liston. She is a Critical Care Registered Nurse.
5. IF YOU ARE SICK: If you believe you are sick with the Corona Virus, do NOT go directly to a hospital can choose of the following three options:
A. You can email Joey Merrifield, ARNP, at email@example.com or WhatsApp (text only) 415 114 5009 for screening and referral for testing if needed.
B. Call or WhatsApp to Dra. Pamela Chao at 415 103 3116 if you want to be screened for free government testing.
Government Screening Protocol
You MUST have a minimum of TWO of the following three symptoms:
Fever, Cough, Headache
Plus you at least ONE of the following symptoms:
Shortness of breath, Chest pain, Joint pain, Body aches, Sore throat, Runny nose or pink eye.
C. Opt to go to a private for FEE hospital/lab. There is no free testing except through the government protocol.
6. GUANAJUATO HEALTH SECRETARY PREPARATIONS. Guanajuato began preparing for the virus early and there are special COVID-19 hospitals in Leon, Irapuato and Salamanca. Locally, Hospital General is stabilizing patients and sending them to Leon if they have an acute respiratory issue. Unlike other parts of Mexico, there is capacity available to those who need it.
7. SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE RESOURCES. There are only a few ventilators available in San Miguel. Large deposits are required if being admitted to the private hospitals without insurance.
Hospital General tel: (415) 120 4746
Hospital UniMed tel: (415) 120 0465 (No ventilator)
Note that on May 15 that Hospital H+ suddenly has closed - they are not accepting patients anymore.
San Miguel began #QuedaTeEnCasa #SanaDistancia, #Stay at Home and #Social Distancing, much earlier than most places in Mexico. We have not had as many cases per capita here as elsewhere in the country. Stay safe - Stay at Home.
8. LATEST STATISTICS. Every morning COVID-19 SMA publishes an update of statistics on that Facebook site. Mexico is under reporting due to lack of testing but the information is worthwhile if considered as "relative figures". Many resources suggest that the actual statistics are 10x higher than reported.
Link to Secretaria de Salud GTO updates:
Hospice Care by Mitigare
Mitigare is a nonprofit organization of professionals specialized in caring for people who have a life-limiting illness. We address the patient's needs - physical, emotional, social and spiritual - as well as the needs of the whole family. We help maximize quality of life and assist the patients make decisions about how and where they want to spend the rest of their lives.
1. Provide hospice care at an international standard of care to all in San Miguel de Allende.
2. Build capacity of doctors, nurses and social workers to provide end-of-life care as a medical specialty.
3. Create awareness and demand within the local population, the medical community, government social agencies and NGOs for end of life care as a basic human right.
To create a culturally appropriate model of end-of-life care that can be delivered at international standards of hospice care and that can be integrated into existing public and private health systems at a cost that is sustainable.
Responsibility. Maintain responsible interaction within the Mitigare team of professionals and the patients and their families
Respect. To treat everyone within the organization and patients, families, etc. with respect.
Cooperation. The Mitigare team will collaborate with each other and the patients and families to achieve our objectives.
Leadership. We will strive to be an example for all of those around us.
Social Commitment. We are committed to serving our population and to improve quality of life of our patients who have been diagnossed with progressive, advanced or late stage diseases.
“You matter to the last moment of your life, and we’ll do all that we can not only to help you die peacefully, but to live until you die"
Dame Cicely Saunders
Founder of the Modern Hospice movement